Friday 11 December 2009

Dead Baits


Herring seemed to do the trick on our last outing. Doesn't seem to be a particularly oily fish which should lend its self better to colder temperatures (2 points raised there, both open to your criticism!). Stays on the trebles quite well, especially when hooked in the wrist of the tail, in my experience.

I tend to buy mine, from the fish monger at the supermarket, in bulk and then freeze them in packs of 4. It is considerably cheaper this way and you always have some to hand if you can't get to the tackle shop or are lucky enough to grab a few opportunistic hours on the bank (the later happening to me very rarely these days!)

We must always, though, do our best to support our tackle shops and besides - the fish monger doesn't sell roach deadbaits!- not yet anyway. Seriously though, try to spend a couple of quid in there every week, we'll miss them if they have to close.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Oli, I have just finished having a look at your blog. It's very interesting and informative. I have only taken up coarse fishing this year after 40 years a sea angler, and have mainly targeted carp, doing this off the surface with floaters and also a fly rod that I use for my bass fishing. I live on the Devon/Cornwall border, and have always wanted to have a crack at Pike. With your expertise in this field, do you know of any waters down here that I could target. Keep up the good work with the blog, I will continue checking in for hints and tips.
    Regards. Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello mate, thanks for the comments- they are gratefully received. Can't seem to get hold of you through your back link. Please refer to the post that i have left for you.

    Many thanks and tight lines

    Oli

    ReplyDelete