Thursday 14 January 2010

Mad Men?


"You're mad you are!" exclaimed the lady walking her dog - in the blizzard.
"We Know!" I polity shouted back.
It always brings a smile to my face when other people, who are out in the same conditions as me, comment on the my level of sanity. After all, we're out in this weather with a purpose. We're prepared. We have warm clothes, hot flasks and emergency equipment in the car. We are on the bank as part of a well laid plan to catch fish - without compromising our safety. Dogs walkers, on the other hand, have chosen to go out in this weather to... exercise the dog! Often equipped with nothing more than hunched shoulders and a walking stick, they drag their poor animals out into the freezing conditions - for the dog's benefit! Whose mad?

Well, maybe we're all a little eccentric at the moment. The snow does seem to bring out the quirky side in people. I can only speak for myself, but i feel compelled to go out in conditions like this, as if it proves your commitment to your sport. As if, maybe, the fishing gods are watching and taking notes. These notes, of course, are what the gods refer to when dishing out your angling fortunes over the coming season. Actually the lady walking her dog was right!


Our mid-week outings are only short and sweet as both of us have family commitments. None the less, these short trips can prove very successful if you've done your home work. On trips like these, it pays to go somewhere where you know you have a good chance of action. So, no prizes for guessing where we headed! Not that we had much choice otherwise, this sort of weather pretty much dictates where you can fish. We had hoped we'd be able to fish one of the lakes on the Ringstead complex, but the ice on these was about 3 inches thick in places. As soon as they thaw, we're on them!

The robins greeted us with the usual acrobatic display, and the pike were obliging as usual. Mick played one all the way to the net before everything went slack (what a horrible feeling that is!) and the air temperature momentarily raised as steam blew out of the sides of Micks face. Not happy. To try and make him feel better I set about catching the fish for him just 5 minutes later. Well, anything for a mate.

Just a jack of about 7lb. This piece of water is really starting to become something special. Although the size of the fish isn't huge, with the exception of Kris's fish, we catch every time we come. I don't think I've ever fished any other natural venue that i can say that about. This creates a conflict in your mind. Pastures new? Or where you know you'll catch? I can hear you all shouting "Pastures new, please!" so for the sake of this blog - we will.

As i said before, we propose to fish one of the lakes at the weekend. There are some big fish in the lakes so be sure to read how we get on.

Don't forget that you can subscribe to this blog by using the link in the side bar on the left. The forum and chat facilities are now up and running also so please join in. Remember, Mick and I are just normal 'real' fishermen and would love to hear advice and stories from other like minded anglers.

I look forward to speaking to you soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ol, I think we can all be a bit eccentric when it comes to our fishing. I know when I am not fishing, I make up rigs, produce boilies and watch and read about fishing. Eccentric?..... maybe, mad?..... probably. I did a bit of research and discovered I may be able to target Pike for the first time in the Exeter Canal, down in my part of the UK. Keep up the good work with the blog.

    ReplyDelete