Wednesday 24 February 2010

A Grand Day Out

Reconnaissance was the main priority today. With the river taking a well earned rest in a few weeks, it was time for Mick and I to start thinking about where to fish during the interlude.

Canals have been producing predators of quite a reasonable standard recently, probably due to the fact that pike anglers seldom bother with such waters. However, fish as we all know, thrive on neglect and canals it would seem, can offer some very good sport away from the madding crowd.

Our club has 3.2 miles of the Grand Union Canal in its portfolio and, if I'm honest, is a stretch of water that I have never even considered fishing before. I've always, perhaps unfairly, thought of canals as muddy streams full of unhealthy fish. That coupled with joggers and bank sides peppered with empty stella cans, has always put me off. A bit.

So, I wasn't expecting a lot when we arrived at the Grand Union Canal, but I'm glad to say that I was pleasantly surprised. The first thing that struck me was the serenity of the place. Almost as if time had stood still. A blissful silence that we seldom get to experience on this crowded island of ours. The trees that lined the water were full of birds, the fields on either side were as wild as could be. Yes there were moored boats, but the occupants were friendly enough (even if their dogs weren't!) and the boats actually give you a feature to cast to. Dare I say it, the canal was quite splendid.

Right then, fishing! Due to the fact that we had a fair amount of water to 'look at', we opted for just the spinning tackle today. Now, as you may of gathered, I am not exactly an ambassador for lure fishing. It is probably because I have never really given it a real go, but I've always viewed it in much the same way that I did canals. Before today, that is, as not only do I now love canal fishing, but lure fishing too!

Mick was taking his lure fishing very seriously and was working his way through his, small but adequate, collection of lures like a pro. Starting with a spinner, to pick up anything willing to hang its self, and then changing to other patterns periodically. Casting to a different spot in a fan-like pattern each time, anybody would think that he had been doing this for years.

I, on the other hand, had my tongue in my cheek at the start of this exercise. I plumped for the most outrageous shad that I had in my my tackle box. This wasn't entirely for comic effect, not entirely, no. Canal water is similar in colour to muddy carp pools. Visibility was going to be low so bright and vibrant patterns were what the text book suggested we should use. Shame the text book went in the drink back at the start of the season.

Anyway, I only went and caught one! We didn't really expect to catch today, it was a little warmer than its been recently but we were still on unfamiliar water without any bait! Working the shad slow and deep, I had the take after about 25 mins of fishing at only the second swim I'd tried. I couldn't believe that I'd actually had a take. Even when my lure decided to move rapidly to the right, come to the surface and frantically shake its head in the form of a perfectly conditioned pike, I still couldn't quite believe it.

There was no doubt about it. This fish had never never been caught before and I've never had a pike put up such a dogged fight. Fantastic.

That fish was very important for Mick and I. It proved that there are fish here waiting to be caught and that we are not completely wasting our time fishing with bits of metal and plastic - instead of bait.

I'm actually looking forward to the close season now.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Oli, the photographs of the Grand Union Canal really do it justice, what a stunning looking place. Well done to you and Mick for getting out and giving the lure fishing a go. What success too, a cracking Pike that looks a lean fighting machine in tip top condition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link.

    I've been following this blog from the beginning, I have my fingers crossed you'll find the monster this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very happy to have discovered your blog. Grand Union Canal looks like a lovely place. Will have to have a go at lure fishing as well.

    ReplyDelete